12/24/2008

Thank you, Santa Claus

It is said that a boy who did good in the past year will receive a gift from Santa Claus on the Christmas Eve, and it happens...

I was working in my lab as usual while suffering sore lip, and left for the rest room with my door open for two minutes around noon. A Carmex was sitting on my open book when I returned and no words were left accompanying it. After searching the hallway, it seemed all my colleagues gone somewhere for the holiday...Holiday, oh yeah, it is Christmas Eve today, so has "Santa Claus" come regardless my secular belief? I left my lab this afternoon with a note attached on my door, reading as "Thank you, Santa Claus, for the lip balm!"

We read and enjoyed fairy tales as little kids but abandoned them as growing up. Why do we keep the fairy tale live and pass on from generation to generation if we do not believe it? Yes, we do not expect "the Santa Claus", but instead, we have faith in "Santa Clauses". It is the other-regarding motives inside the deep minds of you and me. Let Homo Economicus go to trash can!

No comments: